Sunday, February 22, 2009

Cont. From last post - off to the job

- here's where I've been manifesting without even knowing it....

The first part of the job took me to Mississippi. At the Burbank airport I encountered my second “challenge.” The airline had overbooked. Once the plane landed in Mississippi, I was to connect with another person on the show, get the rental car reserved for us, and head to the hotel. I had to make the flight. Rather than float to my normal negative thoughts such as, “of course the airline overbooked, they always do that now I’m never going to get on this flight”, I repeated in my head, “I will get on this flight.” I kept this going and going despite the chaos around me of the other passengers twittering with worry. I noticed one prospective passenger threatening the attendant at the ticket counter. “He’s not going to get anywhere with that attitude”, I thought. A group of us were called as standbys. The man from the ticket countered approach us. He didn’t get on the standby list but he wanted to be. Or rather, felt entitled to be. He HAD to make his connecting international flight. The airline screwed up. He didn’t ask any of us if our flights were a priority. I may have fallen for his case and thought, well, can I put myself aside if he really needs to be somewhere...” But I was being paid to be somewhere. Another co-worker counted on me being there. In my mind, my trip was equally important. “So no, absolutely not,” I stated in my head was I going to trade places with this guy. Especially as he became more belligerent and demanding when none else caved into him either. Then I heard an announcement that another flight had opened up. I rushed over to get to the ticket counter, following the herd, worrying that I may have gotten there too late. My worried was needless. I had gotten on my originally scheduled flight and rushed back to board just in time. Truly, there was something to this positive thinking.

I can’t say for certain I know exactly why the belligerent man didn’t get on the flight. Did he hold a belief that the airlines always screw up and therefore, he created a situation where the airline would screw up? Or was it karma paid back to him? I’m getting ahead of myself. These kinds of insights into asks would come later. I was just overjoyed back then that having thought that I would get on the flight, no question, had paid off.

2 comments:

  1. you are my hero!!!! Go JEN GO!!!!!!!!!!!! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Mykle! Hero, schmero. What would I have done without your coaching help to get the salary I wanted for the job!

    ReplyDelete